Saturday, November 19, 2005

For my last book in my Literature Class I read The Death of Ivan Illych by the russian author: Leo Tolstoy. I found it interesting becasue it has an Ecclesiasticle theme. The novel is only 12 chapters long and it directly shows how life is vain. The main Character (Ivan) while dieing is thinking over his life and wondering if he had lived his life as he should have... He had lived a life that is fairly typical here in America. He spent his life striving for promotions, social status, and money.

One thing I think most christian tend to forget is that The American Dream isn't always God's Plan. I wouldn't mind geting a job somday in which I could Afford a ferrari and several summer houses,( and a paintball field...lol) But is it God's plan? I think to become extremely rich (as I would like to be) Sacrifices have to be made. Your Job would be your LIFE. There wouldn't be any time for anything else. God. Family. Friends.
In The Death of Ivan Illych Tolstoy leaves the reader with one question unanswered:
What is the right way to live?

Though everyone professing to be a christian would have the sunday school answer ready, do we believe it? Do we REALLY believe that God is all we need? A poor christian will go to heaven just like a Rich one. At times I think that I forget that. I forget or deny that life is vain.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ariell said...

Thats really good doug i like that

5:58 PM  
Blogger Doug Brown said...

Terribly missed...hhmmm

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home